I decided to conduct some simple page load speed testing. I hope the following info might be of some value to some folks out there.
What did I want to measure?
- Page load speed while the page is being loaded while utilizing CloudFlare Vs. not utilizing CloudFlare.
Pages I set up to conduct my test:
Conditions under which testing was completed.
- Chrome was the browser of choice for testing.
- I tested on OS X that has a hardwired Ethernet connection.
- The connection speed was throttled to 4 Mbps using Chrome Developer Tools.
- I disabled browser cache by having selected the "Disable cache" checkbox in Chrome Developer Tools.
- When pages were loaded utilizing CloudFlare, they were loaded in HTTP/2 instead of HTTP/1.1.
- When pages were loaded utilizing CloudFlare, there was some significant optimization happening thanks to its CDN infrastructure.
What were the results?
Conclusion & thoughts
- CloudFlare significantly improved page load performance (1 - 2 seconds Vs. 38 seconds!!!)
- When pages are loaded via CloudFlare, bundling of resources can drastically improve page load speed.
- I wonder how my testing would be impacted if...:
- I were to load less/more unbundled resources.